[Taxacom] Notice: restricted loans service at BM

Jonathan Gregson j.gregson at nhm.ac.uk
Thu Aug 2 04:00:50 CDT 2007

NOTICE: RESTRICTED LOAN/IMAGING SERVICE AT BM FROM 01/09/2007 UNTIL
31/12/2007

Dear Colleagues,

The Department of Botany at the Natural History Museum is currently
preparing to switch to a new collections management computer system. The
migration of existing data into the new system will take place
throughout September and this means that we will be unable to add any
new data during this time: we will therefore be unable to process any
loan or imaging requests. There will also be delays in receiving and
sending gifts and exchange material, processing loans of BM material
returned to us and returning non-BM material on loan to us.

We anticipate that we will require several months to train staff in the
new system, and to iron out any problems. We therefore advise that from
1st September 2007 until the end of 2007 we will be unable to honour
loan or imaging requests, and we ask that you please do not send any
requests during this period. Any loan requests received during this
period will be deleted and must be re-submitted in 2008. If these
restrictions will cause you particular problems, please contact Rob
Huxley (Head of Collections, r.huxley at nhm.ac.uk) to discuss, and we may
be able to offer a restricted service (from October) for very urgent
requests.

During this period, the herbarium will remain open to visitors; if you
wish to visit please feel free to contact us to arrange an appointment
in the usual way. We apologise for any inconvenience and thank you for
your patience.

Jonathan Gregson
Collections Manager (Flowering Plants)
Department of Botany