[Taxacom] data quality vs. accessibility vs. quantity

Weitzman, Anna WEITZMAN at si.edu
Sat Aug 4 18:49:40 CDT 2007

Dear Wolfgang et al.

I also agree with the points both Rich & David and I want to add some additional perspectives to the discussion:

First, let us applaud GBIF for getting such well designed and functioning tools in place so quickly that can handle so much data.  And perhaps, more importantly, let us applaud GBIF for creating an atmosphere in which so many institutions (finally) put a priority on making their data publicly accessible.  The combination means of tools and so much data is that we can see both its strengths and its shortcomings.  I know that GBIF (collectively) and each of the providers have thought about data quality and feedback mechanisms for GBIF and its data providers and I know, especially now that the second version of the portal is in place, that comments like these about next steps are welcome and will be considered seriously.

Second, I want to second Rich's points about the yin/yang of data quality vs. data accessibility, using the ca. 83 million recent biological specimens at Smithsonian's NMNH as an example.  When I first undertook the task leading the migration of all of NMNH's data to a new system, partially in order to make the data uniformly accessible, I got a lot of pushback about the quality of NMNH data from a number of research and collections staff.  Other staff pointed out that there is nothing like making data available to bring the much-needed critics out of the 'woodwork', and that we should consider this a help.  By the end of the years of migration (at least of the major databases--we still have an unknown number of research databases that also contain collection data to add as we can), I was delighted that strong voices from every part the recent biology departments' staff were pushing to make the data accessible faster--largely because of the community pressure that arose from GBIF and other community projects.  This too shows how much progress GBIF has brought in a relatively short time!

As for data quality, NMNH's data were entered in digital databases over the last ca. 30 years (about 4 million recent biological records of nearly 6 million total representing 10-15% of NMNH's total collections).  By definition, that means that the data have been entered for different purposes (because Congress mandated a 'complete' inventory; because scientists wanted data about a particular group for a monograph, flora or fauna; because collections staff needed better control over certain collections; etc.).  They have also been entered into different systems that had different capabilities and designs when space was a premium and now when space is relatively cheap.  As databases have matured and we, as a community, have learned more about how museum data can be used, our ideas of database design, atomization, and inclusion have changed--this, along with data entry ability and priorities has led to a great deal of inconsistency in data in the records that we do have.  Further, the data that were entered into the earliest systems have been migrated 1-several times--each migration can itself add errors.

That raises the question:  do we put our extremely limited data management staff time into trying to enter the remaining 85-90% of our collections or into the laborious task of data cleansing/verifying?  That is a very difficult question for any institution.  Our types get more attention and cleanup than the rest, for obvious reasons.  Nevertheless, I can only say that NMNH recognizes the importance of adding data records, data cleanup, and accessibility (whether those in Washington who decide our budget do or not) and we do our best to balance those issues given our resources.

Finally, the majority of NMNH staff are grateful for whatever assistance we receive from those who spot errors and we do our best to correct them as we learn of them.  We are also grateful to those who help to educate those in Washington about the importance of museums and their data.

Oh well.  Let us hope that we ALL find ways to do this better, and faster ...SOON!

Cheers,
Anna

Anna L. Weitzman, PhD
Botanical and Biodiversity Informatics Research
National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution

office: 202.633.0846
mobile: 202.415.4684