[Taxacom] new GBIF portal

Fabian Haas fhaas at icipe.org
Mon Aug 6 02:16:15 CDT 2007

Hi,

well GBIF is publishing what is there, and if there are incorrect data,
we unfortunately need to blame the scientists/taxonmists, who noted
them. Obviously the notes are not correct or ambiguous and need some
check and refinement.

 I do see the problem that arises when these data are used by people
that dont realize the incorrectness of these data. However judging from
my experiences as webmaster and what you see in WIKIPEDIA, it is better
to have something incorrect on the net, than nothing. If there is a
problem people will come forward and tell you so. If you want to have
things checked before publications, you will have difficulties finding
someone to do so...

So easy feed back mechanisms to the data providers is definitely
essential, and after all, having the data in some collection or
published some remote paper, they will never be corrected at all.

best
Fabian

FabianHaas2 at gmx.net, fhaas at icipe.org, Extension -2052

www.icipe.org
www.earwigs-online.de :: The Site on Earwig Biology
www.fabianhaas.de :: Personal Photo Website

Dr. Fabian Haas
c/o The International Centre of Insect Physiology and
Ecology
Duduville Campus, Kasarani
P.O. Box 30772 - 00100
N A I R O B I