[Taxacom] environmental damage from beach "replenishment"

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 6 19:53:47 CDT 2007

Dear All,
     Well, looks like just one more reason beach replenishment is often a
bad idea (in additon to being terribly expensive, the environmental
disruptions, it's only a temporary fix even if ocean levels don't rise, and
it encourages risky building too close to coast)---this time the sand
pumping not only dredged up sea life, but old military explosives as well:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20141269

      Maybe the Army Corps of Engineers could better spend its time
repairing bridges that are about to fall down!!!  If developers, cities, or
even states, want to pursue beach replenishment, then they should pay for
it.  The federal government should puts its money into maintaining our
Interstate Highways before it wastes money on beach replenishment and
"bridges to nowhere".  Organisms living on the seabeds along our coasts
would be a lot safer too.
  ----Ken Kinman