[Taxacom] stripe tailed ape double

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 7 19:31:36 CDT 2007

John,
    The story is that this bridge term originated in Brazil, so this
so-called "ape" is apparently a marmoset from Family Callithricidae.  Mostly
like one of the species in genus Callithrix.  These marmosets often have
ringed-tails, although not as distinctive as those of ringed-tailed lemurs.
[Actually ringed-tailed lemurs were what first popped into my mind, but when
I read that the name originated in Brazil, lemurs just didn't fit].  Anyway,
this kind of aggressive bluffing (and then running away when you call their
bluff) sounds like something a marmoset would do, and geographically it
fits.
  ------Cheers,
             Ken Kinman