[Taxacom] Lithostrotia (a family level clade)

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 9 21:17:19 CDT 2007

Dear All,
     I was looking at a clade of dinosaurs called Lithostrotia, and a google
search showed GBIF with an entry at the Genus level (among "unconfirmed"
taxa), along with a lot of other weird entries at Genus level, including
fishes, fish, feather, etc.  I guess Genus (unconfirmed) is a catchall for a
bunch of miscellaneous clades and other taxa (including class level
groupings like "fishes").

     Anyway, Lithostrotia is clearly a family level taxon, which includes
Saltasaurinae Negemtosaurinae, and possibly Opisthocoelicaudiinae.  The
clade name Lothostrotia appears to be completely invalid under the
Zoological Code (not typified and with an improper suffix).  How should GBIF
and other databases deal with such clade names (there will be many of them
generated by PhyloCode).

    Personally, I would probably list Lithostrotia as a synonym of Family
Saltasauridae.  PhyloCodists on the other hand want to name virtually every
conceivable clade, and want to abandon the Linnaean hierarchy altogether.
So how should non-PhyloCode databases deal with clade names like
Lithostrotia, especially those that are clearly family level taxa?
   -----Ken Kinman