[Taxacom] Tetrastigma tuberculatum: nom. illeg.?

Boggan, John BOGGANJ at si.edu
Mon Aug 20 16:09:42 CDT 2007

In 2001, A. Latiff made the combination Tetrastigma tuberculatum (Blume)
Latiff, based on Cissus tuberculata Blume, in separating out a taxon
(including numerous synonyms) that had previously been included in
Tetrastigma leucostaphylum (Dennst.) Alston ex Mabberley.  So far so
good, but my concern is with nomenclature rather than circumscription.
As far as I can figure out, Cissus tuberculata Blume (1825) is a later
homonym of Cissus tuberculata Jacquin (1797).  The latter name, with a
type from Cuba, is synonymized under Cissus obovata Vahl by Lombardi in
a recent Flora Neotropica treatment of Vitaceae (with no indication that
it is a nom. nud.).  It seems that this name should block Cissus
tuberculata Blume, and therefore Tetrastigma tuberculatum (Blume) Latiff
is an illegitimate name, having as its basionym a later homonym.

John Boggan

Department of Botany, MRC 166

National Museum of Natural History

Smithsonian Institution