[Taxacom] Tetrastigma tuberculatum: nom. illeg.?

Boggan, John BOGGANJ at si.edu
Tue Aug 21 08:01:03 CDT 2007

I thought I knew the Code pretty well but overlooked Art. 58.1. Despite
being published as an avowed combination, Tetrastigma tuberculatum
Latiff 2001 is apparently to be considered a nom. nov. for Cissus
tuberculata Blume (non Jacq.), with the same type.

Unfortunately there's more: at the same time he made the "combination",
Latiff synonymized several species under T. tuberculatum: Cissus
mutabilis Bl. (1825), Tetrastigma mutabile (Bl.) Planch. (1887),
Tetrastigma encephalospermum Ridl. (1926), Vitis kunstleri King (1896),
Tetrastigma kunstleri (King) Craib (1926), Vitis rafflesiae Miq.
(1863-64) & Tetrastigma rafflesiae (Miq.) Planch. (1887). If I'm looking
at these names and dates right, he should have taken up T. mutabile
(Bl.) Planch. as the correct name for this taxon, as Cissus mutabilis
Bl. (1825) is the next oldest name after Cissus tuberculata Bl.
(actually published at the same time) and therefore has priority over T.
tuberculatum Latiff (2001) IF all these taxa are combined under one
name.

John Boggan

Department of Botany, MRC 166

National Museum of Natural History