[Taxacom] Tetrastigma tuberculatum: nom. illeg.?

Thomas G. Lammers lammers at uwosh.edu
Tue Aug 21 08:39:02 CDT 2007

At 08:01 AM 8/21/2007, Boggan, John wrote:
>I thought I knew the Code pretty well but overlooked Art. 58.1. Despite
>being published as an avowed combination, Tetrastigma tuberculatum Latiff
>2001 is apparently to be considered a nom. nov. for Cissus tuberculata
>Blume (non Jacq.), with the same type.

Yes, that's the chapter-and-verse I had in mind.

>Unfortunately there's more: at the same time he made the "combination",
>Latiff synonymized several species under T. tuberculatum: Cissus mutabilis
>Bl. (1825), Tetrastigma mutabile (Bl.) Planch. (1887), Tetrastigma
>encephalospermum Ridl. (1926), Vitis kunstleri King (1896), Tetrastigma
>kunstleri (King) Craib (1926), Vitis rafflesiae Miq. (1863-64) &
>Tetrastigma rafflesiae (Miq.) Planch. (1887). If I'm looking at these
>names and dates right, he should have taken up T. mutabile (Bl.) Planch.
>as the correct name for this taxon, as Cissus mutabilis Bl. (1825) is the
>next oldest name after Cissus tuberculata Bl. (actually published at the
>same time) and therefore has priority over T. tuberculatum Latiff (2001)
>IF all these taxa are combined under one name.

Not the first time I've seen perfectly valid names cited in synonymy under
a nom. nov., unfortunately.

I've always said the ICBN is a lot like the Bible -- people THINK they know
what's in it, but few actually sit down and study it!
;-)

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Associate Professor and Curator of the Herbarium (OSH)
Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA

e-mail:       lammers at uwosh.edu