[Taxacom] The spider and the slug

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 21 09:37:15 CDT 2007

     After looking at the pictures again this morning, my impression still
is that the oxyopid spider was going after the slug.  Perhaps an even more
likely possibility is that the male spider found the slug chemically
attractive.  If one of the slug's pheromones was chemically similar to one
of the oxyopid's pheromones, the spider could accidentally get stuck on the
slug.
     The number of chemical pheromones is not unlimited, and there are bound
to be overlaps that can cause mistakes (as with insects attracted to some
perfumes).  I always wondered if the common occurence of male spiders being
found in bathtubs and sinks (during mating season) could be due to an
attraction to scented soaps, shampoos, etc.
   ------Ken