[Taxacom] Airplane vs. turkey vultures

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 22 23:11:40 CDT 2007

Dear All,
      I was watching three of our resident (summer) turkey vultures circling
around this morning, and then an airplane (not a jet) passed overhead
straight toward the turkey vultures.  The vultures were at that moment
gliding south into the wind, and the airplane was going south southeast
towards the Hays (Kansas) airport.  I don't know if they could hear the
airplane approaching since it was down-wind from them and coming up behind
them, but just as it was almost on top of them the closest vulture took a
quick nose-dive.  I'd say the airplane was about 30 feet above it (otherwise
it would have been a direct hit).  ANYWAY, it makes me wonder if slow-flying
airplanes (not jets) which hit vultures are usually coming at them from
behind (like this one) or head-on.
   -----Ken Kinman