[Taxacom] Airplane vs. turkey vultures

Robin Leech releech at telusplanet.net
Thu Aug 23 09:08:03 CDT 2007

Hi Ken,

One of the reasons the birds did not move till almost too late is that they
do not have a size perception.  And it may have been the noise that made
them move, not size.

This is one of the reasons that huge goose decoys work - ones so large
that 2 guys can hide in them, then burst out to shoot at approaching geese.

In Canada, all planes flying 10,000 feet or less (I think that that is the
height)
have to fly with lights on.  Birds will move out of the way of a light on a
plane
while flying, but apparently they do not do so for a plane without a light.

I believe the US has yet to enact a similar law to that imposed in Canada.
Having the lights on for airplanes has drastically reduced bird-plane
collisions.

Robin