[Taxacom] Sargasso sea flies (Diptera)

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Tue Aug 28 11:57:09 CDT 2007

>I have a ornithologist friend who is desperate to know what species
>of fly he is finding in huge numbers in the Sargasso sea.  It
>apparently breeds there.  Might anyone suggest a taxon?

About the only fly family including multiple genuinely marine taxa I
know of would be the Chironomidae, so that would be the logical prime
suspect. I sort of doubt that Coelopids (seaweed flies) could live in
open water, and, likewise, Ephydrids and Canaceids also seem a little
iffy - but that would be my short list.

Peace,