[Taxacom] Sargasso sea flies (Diptera)

Richard Heard Richard.Heard at usm.edu
Tue Aug 28 13:34:36 CDT 2007

There is a species chironomid that occurs in reef areas off southern Florida
and into the Caribbean to depths of 30+ meters.  The larva of this truly
marine species, which has an abbreviated adult stage, is greenish in color
rather than reddish as in most other types of chironomid larvae.
Unfortunately, I can't think of the genus name at the moment.

One should do some light formalin washings of the Sargassum where the flies
are commonly observed and look in the residue for the larva.

RWH