[Taxacom] Crossommatales

Steven R. Hill srhill at inhs.uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 5 10:27:10 CST 2007

I guess I have more of a question than an answer.  I know the family
Crossosomataceae, but if you meant Crossosomatales, I'm afraid I must
plead ignorance on that order. Some have proposed that the
Crossosomataceae may be related to the Geraniaceae which is still in
the Geraniales [according to Plant systematics, A Phylogenetic
Approach [Judd et al.] but that book also states that the family is
more closely related to the Oxalidaceae.  Of course, Art Cronquist
placed it in the Dilleniales next to the Dilleniaceae and Paeoniaceae
at one time.

As I wrote this, Peter Steven's reply came in.  At any rate, please
check the spelling of 'Crossommatales' as you presented it.  You may
be able to find more on Google etc. with the corrected spelling.  I'd
enjoy hearing the results of your search.  An unusual family, indeed.

--Steve Hill

At 09:34 AM 12/5/2007, John Grehan wrote:
>If anyone could direct me to the taxonomic position of the
>Crossommatales and any recent systematic publication I would be most
>grateful. Some time ago I mapped the global distribution of this group
>and its three sub clades, but I lost track of the source so any
>direction on this would be most helpful.
>

>John Grehan
>

>Dr. John R. Grehan
>
>Director of Science and Collections
>
>Buffalo Museum of Science1020 Humboldt Parkway
>
>Buffalo, NY 14211-1193
>
>email: jgrehan at sciencebuff.org
>
>Phone: (716) 896-5200 ext 372
>

>Panbiogeography
>
>http://www.sciencebuff.org/biogeography_and_evolutionary_biology.php
>
>Ghost moth research
>
>http://www.sciencebuff.org/systematics_and_evolution_of_hepialdiae.php
>
>Human evolution and the great apes
>
>http://www.sciencebuff.org/human_origin_and_the_great_apes.php

Dr. Steven R. Hill
Plant Systematics
Division of Biodiversity and Ecological Entomology [DBEE]
Illinois Natural History Survey
*1816 S. Oak Street
Champaign, IL 61820-6970

*Office still located in Rm. 382, Natural Resources Building, 607
East Peabody Drive, Champaign, IL 61820

Phone: (217) 244-8452
Lab / Workroom: (217) 244-0199
Fax: (217) 333-4949