[Taxacom] Developer needed at University of Maryland

Cynthia Sims Parr csparr at umd.edu
Wed Dec 12 10:18:51 CST 2007

The LepTree project (http://www.leptree.net) seeks a part-time
experienced programmer to join our team in January.  Our NSF Assembling
the Tree of Life project has three major efforts: using nuclear gene
sequences to determine deep evolutionary relationships among the
Lepidoptera, developing a knowledge base of descriptive summaries of
superfamilies and families (etc.) of Lepidoptera, and reconciling
morphological terminology across Lepidopteran superfamilies in an
illustrated online glossary.

We seek a developer who can improve and support a Drupal-based web site
where biologists from around the world can exchange and synthesize
information using innovative semantic web and graph visualization
technology. In addition, we will be cooperating closely with related
projects world-wide to ensure data sharing and integration.

Expertise Needed:    PHP, Drupal, MySQL, RDF/OWL, Java, HTML/CSS, AJAX,
web services, system administration

An applicant with experience in many of these areas, particularly on
taxonomic projects, is likely to be most successful.  An interest in
biology, the semantic web, or information visualization is highly
desirable. This job will require interaction with end users, and
includes the opportunity to publish on human-computer interaction and
biodiversity informatics. Full time or telecommuting may be a
possibility, so please inquire.

Please send a cover letter, resume or CV, and three names of references
to Cynthia Sims Parr, csparr at umd.edu <mailto:csparr at umd.edu>, as soon as
possible for full consideration.

Cynthia Sims Parr
Asst. Research Scientist, Human-Computer Interaction Lab
Adj. Faculty, Behavior Ecology Evolution and Systematics
University of Maryland
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~csparr <http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/%7Ecsparr>
http://leptree.net
http://spire.umbc.edu