[Taxacom] Moorea barcode project

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Wed Dec 12 12:02:35 CST 2007

Chris Thompson wrote:

>Yes, we need to take what we can get, be thankful, and then try our best
>to do it all.

I wasn't disputing that or implying otherwise - what I was
questioning is whether, after hearing claims from all sorts of
different biodiversity projects that promise to
inventory/sample/database "all species" but then can't complete the
arthropod portion of the project (about 90% or more of the actual
biodiversity), won't funding agencies start looking with a jaundiced
eye at future projects making similar promises, and either not fund
them, or fund only those that do NOT include arthropods? Are we
better served by promising more than we can deliver and doing the
best we can (and falling short), or would we be better off being
honest about the limitations, and then delivering exactly what was
promised? We work just as hard, and get the same results in either
case, but in the latter, those results are a better match to what we
promised beforehand. Or is it true that we have to make big promises
in order to get any funds at all?

My concern, as someone who works on arthropods, and is often involved
in inventory and sampling projects, is that I'd like to see funding
opportunities increase in frequency and magnitude, and see a lot more
arthropod taxonomists being hired and supported (heck, the list of
insect families occurring in North America which have no living
taxonomists anywhere in the world is as long as your arm, and I'll
bet it's worse for arachnids, percentage-wise). Which approach,
realistically, is going to better advance the survival and growth of
arthropod taxonomy? If one biodiversity project after another gets
crippled by the arthropod taxonomic impediment, will that lead to
MORE funding for arthropod taxonomy (to remove the impediment), or
just drive people to bypass it altogether?

Peace,