[Taxacom] gender of genus "Creobroter"

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Mon Dec 17 17:19:40 CST 2007

Hi. I can't seem to track down a meaning (and therefore a gender) for
"-broter". From the online references to the genus, there are names
in present use formed both ways (e.g., Creobroter gemmatus and
Creobroter elongata) - this is plainly impossible, but see
http://tolweb.org/Creobroter/12627 - evidently, when the genus was
created in 1838, it only included previously-described taxa (i.e.,
Serville apparently did not name any new species to thereby give an
indication of intended gender). I can't easily get ahold of
Serville's description to check how he formed the names of the
included species. Does anyone here happen to know for certain whether
it's masculine or feminine?

Thanks,