[Taxacom] Help sought - re. spelling of Rhamnoides.

Peter Bostock pbostock at ozemail.com.au
Sun Dec 23 04:29:12 CST 2007

W.T. Stearn in Botanical Latin edn 4 page 257 (with Greek transliterated):

"Transliterated into Latin, the masculine and feminine ending
"oeides" (long e in final syllable) and the neuter "oeides" (short e
in final syllable) become -oides. This comprises two parts:  the -o-
which belongs to the stem and -eides (having the nature of,
resembling)  [written in Greek script in Stearn] from eidos (shape,
kind, nature). The -oi- of -oides should accordingly be pronounced as
two short vowels oi, and not as a dipthong (ie not as in English 'adenoid')..."

I think that use of the diaeresis would be helpful to indicate the
separate vowels, much as in Isöetes, but this rarely (never?) seems
to be applied to generic names possessing this ending (eg Nymphoides
and perhaps a hundred others).

Cheers,

  Peter