[Taxacom] Help sought - re. spelling of Rhamnoides.

Mario Blanco mblanco at flmnh.ufl.edu
Thu Dec 27 03:08:38 CST 2007

According to Article 60.6 of the latest version of the International
Code of Botanical Nomenclature, diacritical signs are to be suppressed
from Latin plant names. However, the use of the diaeresis is permissible
(that is, optional; you can choose to use it or not).

"60.6. Diacritical signs are not used in Latin plant names. In names
(either new or old) drawn from words in which such signs appear, the
signs are to be suppressed with the necessary transcription of the
letters so modified; for example ä, ö, ü become, respectively, ae, oe,
ue; é, è, ê become e, or sometimes ae; ñ becomes n; ø becomes oe; å
becomes ao. The diaeresis, indicating that a vowel is to be pronounced
separately from the preceding vowel (as in Cephaëlis, Isoëtes), is
permissible; the ligatures -æ- and -œ-, indicating that the letters are
pronounced together, are to be replaced by the separate letters -ae- and
-oe-."

--
Mario A. Blanco
Department of Botany