[Taxacom] Help sought - re. spelling of Rhamnoides.

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Thu Dec 27 06:28:51 CST 2007

Well, "permissible" is not the same as "to be encouraged". In the Species
Plantarum of 1753 (page 1023/24) Linnaeus uses, side by side, Hippophaë and
Rhamnoides (the latter both as a generic name and to indicate the species),
with a diaeresis in Hippophaë but not in Rhamnoides.

If I may hazard a guess, I would say that a diaeresis is judged to be bad
form in -oides as everybody knows (or is supposed to know) how to pronounce
it, it being a regularly formed (and frequently occurring) ending. On the
other hand Hippophaë is irregular and the user can do with a reminder on how
to pronounce it.

Paul