[Taxacom] Help sought - re. spelling of Rhamnoides.

Mario Blanco mblanco at flmnh.ufl.edu
Thu Dec 27 12:58:11 CST 2007

My interpretation from Article 60.6 is that the diaeresis can be used
whenever there are two consecutive vowels, except when these are derived
from one of the ligatures "ae" and "oe" (the spellings of Cephaelis and
Isoetes are not derived from these ligatures).  Precisely because there
is no ligature "oi", the diaeresis can be used if so desired, and the
use of "Rhamnoïdes" is permitted (although not commonly used). Either
way (Rhamnoïdes or Rhamnoides) there is no confusion as to what genus
you are referring to.

Having said that, I prefer to omit diaereses from all Latin names in the
sake of simplicity, and I think that is the general trend now.

Mario