[Taxacom] Terminology of trinomials

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Mon Dec 31 01:04:39 CST 2007

By the book (ICZN at http://www.iczn.org/iczn/index.jsp):

 5.2. Names of subspecies. The scientific name of a subspecies is a
combination of three names (a trinomen, i.e. a binomen followed by a
subspecific name) [Art. 11.4.2]. The subspecific name must begin with a
lower-case letter [Art. 28].

Of course, in other Codes names below the rank of species are regulated
differently.
Paul

(BTW: I am not sure how "archaic" Charadrius dubius curonicus is. GOOGLE
gives some two thousands hits
http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&q=Charadrius+dubius+curonicus&btnG=Zoeken&meta=)