[Taxacom] [HERBARIA] Species with the highest rate of carbon sequestering

B.J.Tindall bti at dsmz.de
Tue Mar 13 10:59:15 CDT 2007

Well that puts a slightly different light on it. The highest rates of
primary productivity that I am aware of are recorded from the
cynobacterial/algal blooms of soda lakes. In the case of Spirulina,
this organism can also be harvested and eaten (as is/was done in the
area of Lake Chad and Lake Texcoco) - can be bought in health food shops too.
Brian

At 16:58 13.03.07, Alina Freire-Fierro wrote:
>Yes, the person who asked said he was interested in the use of this plant
>for helping in reducing CO2 through its cultivation (since I understand hemp
>had virtually no psychoactive effects, I sent the question).
>
>But, I have to admit, he did mention marihuana and its "positive" health
>effects...
>
>Sorry for the posting,
>
>Cheers,
>
>Alina.
>
>****************
>

> > Well, duh.  But . . .
> >
> > No matter how good or bad fiber hemp might be at carbon sequestration, the
> > drug version of Cannibis would be a terrible choice for carbon
> > sequestration because (1) it generally gets used up or recycled within a
> > year, releasing the carbon, and (2) modern methods of growing the plant
> > use massive amounts of electricity to provide 24 hours per day of intense
> > light.  If the drug plant were legalized, no doubt there would be some
> > recreational marijuana gardening using natural light.  To that extent, the
> > objection that the crop uses so much electricity would be reduced and
> > marijuana's carbon sequestration might be on a par with, say, tomatoes.
> > (Not on a par with corn, fiber hemp, or sugarcane, because the drug plant
> > has been bred to minimize energy/carbon "wasted" on things like a tall
> > stem.)  However, I expect that commercial enterprizes would continue using
> > 24-hour intense light to maximize production per units time and area, thus
> > running the carbon cost of marijuana far into the negative.
> >
> > (The above based on reading, not personal experience.)
> >
> > It will be amusing to see Cannibis promoted as a way to save the world
> > from global warming.
> >
> > Barbara Wilson
> >

> >> Alina,
> >>
> >> Anyone asking about carbon sequestering vis a vis hemp is 99.99% one of
> >> these druggy flakos looking for more ways to justify growing marihuana.
> >>
> >> Michael Nee

PLEASE NOTE THAT FROM 15th August 2006 THE DSMZ POSTAL ADDRESS HAS CHANGED

Post will still be delivered if using the old address, but please
start to use the new address

* Dr.B.J.Tindall      E-MAIL bti at dsmz.de                           *
* DSMZ-Deutsche Sammlung von Mikroorganismen und Zellkulturen GmbH *
* Inhoffenstrasse 7B,                                              *
* D-38124 Braunschweig,                                            *
* Germany                                                          *
* Tel.: ++ 531 2616 0 (general)                                    *
* Tel.: ++ 531 2616 224 (direct)                                   *
* Fax:  ++ 531 2616 418                                            *
* Homepage: http://www.dsmz.de/index.html                          *
* E-MAIL: contact at dsmz.de (general enquiries)                      *
*         sales at dsmz.de (sales)                                    *