[Taxacom] Hydatellales sister to Nymphaeales

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 14 22:01:37 CDT 2007

Dear All,
     With the publication of the Hydatellaceae article in Nature today, I
obviously need to update my classification of basal angiosperms (Class
Magnoliopsida).  I could only read the first paragraph (the rest of the
article is rather expensive to obtain on the internet), but clearly their
results show Hydatellales to be a sister group to Nymphaeales.  Although
Peter Stevens' website now  combines them into one Order, I have always
recognized Hydatellales as an independent Order (NOT in Poales), and I'm
reluctant to combine it with Nymphaeales (and making them sister Orders
shows the same cladistic relationship anyway).

     Immediately below is the classification of Magnoliopsida which I
presented here on Taxacom (as part of my angiosperm classification in 2004).
  That is followed by my present classification (with the addition of
Hydatellales, and with Amborellales coded as an independent clade rather
than sister to Nymphaeales, which was a minority viewpoint anyway).  After
that is my classification of Family Nymphaeaceae, which I have privately
circulated (and post here in a public forum for the first time).  I prefer
to combine Euryale with Victoria, rather than dumping them both into
Nymphaea (as strict cladists would no doubt prefer).

1 Magnoliopsida%% (basal dicots)
     1  "Archaefructales" (fossil)
     2  Amborellales
     B  Nymphaeales
     3  Trimeniales
     B  Austrobaileyales
     C  Illiciales
     4  Ceratophyllales
     B  {{Rosopsidea}} (= eudicots)
     5  Chloranthales
     6  {{Liliopsida}} (= monocots)
     7  Piperales (incl. Hydnoraceae)
     8  Canellales
     9  Laurales
    10  Magnoliales

1  Magnoliopsida%% (basal dicots)
      1  Archaefructales (fossil)
      2  Amborellales
      3  Hydatellales
      B  Nymphaeales
      4  Trimeniales
      B  Austrobaileyales
      C  Illicales
      5  Ceratophyllales (etc.)...

Nymphaeaceae
   1  Nuphar
   2  Barclaya
   3  Ondinea
   4  Nymphaea%
  _a_ Euryale (sensu lato)
         1  E. (Euryale) newsalemae
         B  E. (Euryale) ferox
         2  E. (Microvictoria) svitkoana
         3  E. (Victoria) cruziana
         4  E. (Victoria) amazonica
----------------------------------
NOTES on Nymphaeaceae classification:  Given the similar flower structure of
subgenera Microvictoria and Victoria, one might be tempted to combine them.
However, such a grouping could turn out to be paraphyletic with respect to
subgenus Euryale, and I don't like paraphyletic subgenera.  Furthermore,
such a grouping could even be polyphyletic according to some workers who
claim that Microvictoria could be stem Nymphaeales (not in Nymphaeaceae at
all), although I suspect that
their molecular clocks are probably just screwed up.
Also, there is the possibility that genus Nuphar should be split off once
again as Family Nupharaceae.  It is quite different from the others, and at
least one analysis has Family Cabombaceae splitting off between them.  This
could indicate that the proposed synapomorphies linking Nuphar to the others
are actually symplesiomorphies inherited from stem Nymphaeales (and then
lost in Family Cabombaceae).  We shall see.

  -----Cheers,
            Ken Kinman