[Taxacom] moss circles

Lena Struwe struwe at AESOP.Rutgers.edu
Wed Mar 21 20:53:34 CDT 2007

Just as a curiosity, there is a lichen that looks similar to the crop
circles in the moss:
see great photos at
http://www.naturproduktion-bh.se/plants/07-03/lichen/parmel1.html

Parmelia centrifuga
When I took botany in Sweden, it was nicknamed "Russian Empire" since it
expanded outwards and died from the inside, but the real Swedish name is
"Winter Lichen".

Lena Struwe
Rutgers University