[Taxacom] moss circles

Dave Jefferies d.w.jefferies at shu.ac.uk
Fri Mar 23 06:18:04 CDT 2007

The patterns are intriguing.

I think that mollusc grazing, or any grazing on the surface, is unlikely -
no 'turning circles' for a grazer to move from one track to the next.

Fungal causes are unlikely, I would expect something more like a fairy ring.
Of course the lichen comparison does challenge this. (And see below)

Is there an underlying pattern in the bark or wood? This would give
variations in the substrate that may be reflected in the moss growth. Fungi
could then be associated if they had grown out from gaps in the bark, as
could sub-surface grazing by insects sheltering under the bark.

Were there examples of completely brown rings or where the gaps between the
brown regions were narrower? They may provide better clues.

Dave