[Taxacom] "moss" circles are actually liverwort

Charles R Parker chuck_parker at usgs.gov
Fri Mar 23 12:38:37 CDT 2007

Oh, well.  That's what you get when an aquatic entomologist looks at
terrestrial green things.  Paul Davidson is correct, it is a liverwort,
not a moss.  And, we have seen what we interpret to be fungal hyphae
sprouting from the "stems" of the liverwort.  So, the situation is all the
more intriguing -- not only are we out of the Arctic, we are on a
different group of plants.  We'll try to get some photos and post them.

Chuck
Charles R. Parker, PhD
Research Aquatic Biologist
USGS Biological Resources Discipline