[Taxacom] Field Biologist Data Gathering Tools

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Mon Mar 26 18:25:50 CDT 2007

>A specimen typically finishes up with two labels. One is the provider's, and
>may have nothing on it but a field code. The second is ours, and is produced
>from the collection database following a fixed format, with label lines
>linked to particular database fields
>
>A related question is: how much of the data associated with a specimen do
>you put on a museum label, especially in those cases where the provider has
>only supplied a field-code label?

Our museum's database has a separate field in which the literal text
of the label(s) is entered. ALMOST NEVER does the literal label text
contain all of the pertinent information that needs to go with the
specimen's record - this is epecially true of insects, where the
labels have to be about 8x15mm in maximum dimensions. Therefore, the
information in the database is generally far more detailed and far
more important (should anyone need to know about the specimen) than
what is written on the label. All it requires is that a unique
database-coded label be added to the specimen, and that the data
entry person knows how to parse and interpret label data. The
advantage, once one has done this, is that the original data label
can be left as is, even if it's only a numeric code. Furthermore, if
we had a dollar for every original data label that was erroneous in
one way or another, we could buy a new compactor system - but by
using the database to store the CORRECT data, we don't have to
re-print new labels every time someone puts N instead of S, or
transposes two numerals, or misspells a town name, or any other
common error. All one needs to know is that if there is a database
code on a specimen, then one should look in the database to retrieve
the data, and not use the actual label.

While I can see how it might be easy to have field capture of most of
the information that goes into a data record (Country, State, county,
lat/long, elevation, date), the process of generating specimen labels
involves too much abbreviation and line-juggling (at least for
insects, trying to squeeze everything into 5 lines no longer than
15mm) for that particular process to be automated. But yes, I look
forward to the day when I can press a button on a handheld unit in
Thailand and it beams the collection data via satellite to my lab
computer in California.

Peace,
--

Doug Yanega        /Dept. of Entomology         /Entomology Research Museum
Univ. of California - Riverside, Riverside, CA 92521-0314