[Taxacom] Field Biologist Data Gathering Tools

Bob Mesibov mesibov at southcom.com.au
Tue Mar 27 17:44:05 CDT 2007

Doug Yanega wrote:

"Therefore, the  information in the database is generally far more detailed
and far more important (should anyone need to know about the specimen) than
what is written on the label."

I agree. But your specimens and their archive-quality paper labels have a
good chance of lasting the next 8-10 generations of taxonomists (200-250
years) with only minimal maintenance. Is there a way to ensure that the "far
more detailed and far more important" database will last as long? We print
out those locality/date/collector labels (from database fields with
carefully validated entries) as insurance.

I entered this thread because I understood Richard Pyle was discussing the
digital-age versions of field notebooks. These have considerable value to
the field workers who use them and their colleagues, but are only useful to
posterity if there is a concordance between their contents and particular
museum specimens. Ours wouldn't be the only museum which was given field
notebooks accompanying collections, only to find that we needed to spend
long hours trying to decipher codes, to work out which specimen lot went
with which collecting event.

Perhaps the simplest link between digital notebook and collection database
would be a UID for each collecting event. Specimen UIDs (registration
numbers) would then be daughters of the collecting-event UIDs. I've used
this system for many years by maintaining a collecting event table with
serially numbered entries. Unfortunately, a complete
collecting-event_to_registration-number mapping isn't possible, because many
of the specimens haven't been identified and following museum practice,
aren't registered.
---
Dr Robert Mesibov
Honorary Research Associate, Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery
and School of Zoology, University of Tasmania
(03) 64371195; 61 3 64371195

Australian Millipedes Checklist
http://www.qvmag.tas.gov.au/zoology/millipedes/index.html
Tasmanian Multipedes