[Taxacom] Stewartia or Stuartia (Theaceae)?

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Thu May 31 01:42:51 CDT 2007

From: "Weitzman, Anna" <WEITZMAN at si.edu>
> With generic names in particular, I agree with Dan Nicolson that it is
> better to retain the original spelling unless there is a very good reason.

***
Who am I to disagree with Dan Nicolson on matters of orthography? ;-)

There is no real agreement on matters orthographical, but it is clear that
corrections are not to be made lightly. And indeed, there is a great
difference between correcting a generic name and correcting an epithet.

If there is a general trend among botanists then it is to increasingly go
back to original spelling. This trend may be a source of orthographic
disquiet in itself, necessitating conservation of spellings such as
/Guaiacum/.

If there were a case for using /Stuartia/ over /Stewartia/ somebody would
long since have written a proposal to conserve. I don't see that there is
much to write up, here.
Paul