[Taxacom] Are species real? Doesn't matter.

Steve Manning sdmanning at asub.edu
Thu May 31 16:01:41 CDT 2007

At 02:52 PM 5/31/2007, Richard Jensen wrote:
>As I read through these posts, I couldn't help but wonder if those of
>you responding view species as classes, rather than individuals. The
>species as individual argument, sensu Ghiselin and Hull, is based on
>species being real entities with spatio-temporal constraints.
>
>My view is that species are real, but the best we can do with our names
>is to designate hypotheses about what these real entities are [e.g.,
>Homo sapiens is, hypothetically, a real entity, a product of a natural
>process (evolution); and, it appears to be a pretty good hypothesis
>given that there are few instances of questionable human beings - I
>know, certain deans and administrators are probably beneath being human,
>but they're a special case]. Because these are hypotheses, we must
>accumulate evidence to test our hypotheses and reject them when when the
>evidence indicates that we were mistaken.

Continuing to use Homo sapiens as an example, what evidence should be
used to test the hypothesis that this species is "real" and what
would constitute evidence sufficient to decide that this hypothesis
must be rejected? (i.e., was mistaken?).  And, if this is a problem
to determine for Homo sapiens, is it not likely to be a greater
problem with less familiar species?

Steve