[Taxacom] access to online libraries

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Sun May 6 17:08:22 CDT 2007

Here is a nice piece in todays NYTimes about the impact of digital
libraries.

"And with the Internet, working in an out-of-the-way town like Missoula is
no longer the disadvantage it once was. "People say the library is small,"
said Tammy Mildenstein, a graduate student who travels between here and the
Philippines to study flying foxes. "But why not get it online and watch deer
out your window?""

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/education/06montana.html?ref=science

I hope, it clicks  that this could be even better, if we all self archive or
publish in open access journals. Imagine living the Philippines, have all
the tools you need there, including the entire library? We all could spend
so much more time in the field instead of sitting in remote places (Yale,
Berkeley, etc.) most of our time.

Donat

Dr. Donat Agosti

Science Consultant

Research Associate, American Museum of Natural History and Naturmuseum der
Burgergemeinde Bern

Email: agosti at amnh.org

Web:  <http://antbase.org/> http://antbase.org

Blog:  <http://biodivcontext.blogspot.com/>