[Taxacom] Null Hypothesis in Taxonomy

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Wed May 9 09:36:01 CDT 2007

To clarify my somewhat rhetorical post (I've gotten offline queries):

Phylogenetics excises the environmental aspect of taxonomy, and taxonomy
is poorer for it, therefore we should regenerate some form of the
environmental species concept and use inferred genealogies as simply
additional information.

The idea is that evolution asserts a process, and the null would be no
process. Not falsifying the null does not support neutral evolution
(drift and exons, or accumulating neutral base changes), but the
ecological species concept might help with falsification of the null to
maximize how taxonomy reflects process (e.g. selection) to the extent
there is process.

******************************
Richard H. Zander
Voice: 314-577-0276