[Taxacom] encylopedia of life

Thomas G. Lammers lammers at uwosh.edu
Thu May 10 10:15:52 CDT 2007

At 08:31 AM 5/10/2007, Donat Agosti wrote:
>Yesterday was the launch of the Encyclopedia of Life
>(http://eol.org/home.html) initiative here in DC, which clearly will affect
>taxonomy and provide much better access to our well hidden knowledge about
>our species. The project as such is supported by USD50M for the next five
>years, with a likely extension for another 5 years. It is great, that the
>money could be raised from MacArthur Foundation (with the lion0s share), the
>Sloan Foundation and support from the five core institutions, Harvard, The
>Field Museum, Smithsonian, Marin Biological Lab and Missouri Botanical
>Garden. The idea is to have within these 10 years for each of the 1.8M
>species its specific page.
>
>In an interesting way, the participants at the official launch represent -
>at least for me - the main challenge of this the project: Getting content.

Well, the Royal Botanical Garden at Kew will soon be publishing my "World
Checklist and Bibliography of the Campanulaceae"
(http://www.kew.org/data/checklists.html)

If they pony up for a copy, I guess they can crib the info out of that ...
;-)

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Associate Professor and Curator of the Herbarium (OSH)
Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA

e-mail:       lammers at uwosh.edu