[Taxacom] encylopedia of life[Scanned]

Paul Kirk p.kirk at cabi.org
Thu May 10 11:33:39 CDT 2007

The EoL and other project should move our working environment out of the 19th century and into the 21st. When Homo sapiens learnt to communicate it was through the medium of sound. Next came writing which could be disseminated much further via ink on paper. Unfortunately that's where we stalled in delivering new biodiversity information (the Codes at least outlawed new names proposed verbally). What EoL (and other projects like the EU EDIT project) are trying to do is provide a digital environment where we remaining systematists can work and which will wean us from the "thin sheets of wood with a black powder stuck to it" generated from our trusty word processor. This digital environment will allow everyone on the planet connected to the internet, once we 'sign off' on an observation, photograph, description, gene sequence, species revision, monograph or whatever, to see and use these new data, instantly. Just a vision, hope I live to see it.

Paul

Dr Paul M. Kirk
Biosystematist
CABI UK Centre (Egham)
Bakeham Lane
Egham
Surrey
TW20 9TY
United Kingdom
Telephone: +44 (0) 1491 829023
Fax: +44 (0) 1491 829100
Email: p.kirk at cabi.org
Visit us at www.cabi.org; www.indexfungorum.org
CABI improves people's lives worldwide by providing
information and applying scientific expertise to solve
problems in agriculture and the environment
CABI the trading name of CAB International
The information contained in this e-mail and any files transmitted with it is confidential and is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by e-mail at cabi at cabi.org or by telephone on +44 (0)1491 829199 and then delete the e-mail and any copies of it.
Whilst CABI takes steps to prevent the transmission of viruses via e-mail, we cannot guarantee that any e-mail or attachment is free from computer viruses and you are strongly advised to undertake your own anti-virus precautions.