[Taxacom] encylopedia of life

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Thu May 10 13:27:06 CDT 2007

Part of the funding for EOL is going into the Biodiversity Heritage Library
which will deliver content. You can see it on www.bhl.si.edu/

This includes scanning and OCR and some mark up, using volumes from Kew,
NHM, Mobot, Harvard MCZ, Smithsonian, AMNH and others. A combined catalogue
might also be an outcome.
It includes also funding for the servers, so you can have access to it well
beyond the ongoing funding.

Talk to them of what you consider important!

Donat

Who is offering to pay for locating and scanning all the literature you
want to see made available?

In preparing the grass volumes for FNA, one contributor commented, with
some bitterness, that we were prepared to pay illustrators a decent
amount - but we were not paying contributors. The myth is that all
contributors could develop their treatment as part of their job. This is
probably true for many of those employed by museums and gardens.  It is
often not the case for those employed by universities - and is certainly
not true for the many excellent taxonomists who work as consultants or
at have unrelated jobs that pay the bills and provide sufficient free
time they can pursue their love of plants (or other organisms) in their
free time.

Infrastructure is only useful if there is support for structure.

Mary