[Taxacom] Encyclopedia of Life & Taxonomist Funding

Frans Janssens frans.janssens at advalvas.be
Sat May 12 08:42:51 CDT 2007

Let us dream a bit further. ;-)
At the physical level, the internet has implemented an infrastructure to give each computer connected to the internet a unique
'name'. At the more abstract level, a similar infrastructure (the Domain Name System (DNS)) exists to give each 'internet domain' a
unique name.
It should be possible to use this already existing infrastructure in the sense of "one domain for each species".
Each domain name comprises at minimum a 'second-level' part and a top-level part: secondlevel.toplevel
The top-level part could be an existing TopLevelDomain, such as 'info'.
Or better a new and dedicated TLD could be created, such as 'iczn', to represent the nomenclature followed.
The second-level part could be used to implement the genus name.
entomobrya.iczn would then be the domain name associated with the genus Entomobrya.
Species can then be implemented as subdomains:
nivalis.entomobrya.iczn would be the domain name associated with the species Entomobrya nivalis.
Subspecies can be implemented as subsubdomains, etc...

In this way each species is associated with a URL refering to the "one page of that species".
http://nivalis.entomobrya.iczn would then point to the unique species page for Entomobrya nivalis.

Suprageneric taxon names can be defined in the same way as the genera.
entomobryidae.iczn = the family Entomobryidae, providing the links to all genera of Entomobryidae.
Etc...
Parent child relationships between taxa such as the relation family - genus could also be implemented more formely in the DNS such
as entomobrya.entomobryidae.iczn
In this way the full taxonomic hierarchy could be implemented in the DNS. Then with the help of a dedicated taxonomic browser, this
hierarchy could be accessed in a flexible way. A la 'geographic browser' of Google to browse geographic maps.

As a side-effect of using the existing DNS, registration of taxon names (and parent child relationships between taxa) is then
automatically, implicitely and formely implemented... And yes, authority data is included.

Some more ideas:
Synonyms: could be implemented using the existing technique of redirection or URL forwarding. Visitors do not have to know the
status of the name. They are transparently redirected/forwarded to the valid name.
Recombinations: after creating the new domain name of the new combination, the domain of the old combination could be redirected to
that of the new one as with synonyms.
Homonyms: it is impossible to create identical domain names in the DNS. Therefore homonomy is inhibited from then onwards.
Alternative taxonomies (read: alternative parent child relationships) can coexist in the DNS. The taxonomic browser could present
the alternatives, if/when present.
Both Linnean (with emphasis on ranking) and cladistic (with emphasis on parent child relationships) taxonomies could be implemented
in the DNS.

The big advantadge of using such a system is that an addition or a change in the taxonomy is available at once for all using a very
formal method.

Sweet dreams ;-)

Frans Janssens
www.collembola.org