[Taxacom] encylopedia of life [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Peter Stevens peter.stevens at mobot.org
Sat May 12 10:24:59 CDT 2007

There is another aspect of classifications and consensus - which is
as much social in the broad sense, rather than simply political, OK,
all phylogenies are hypotheses, and some are better supported than
others.  However, given extremely strong support for a particular
phylogeny, perhaps Pongo as sister to Homo as Grehan would like, such
that we could ALL link arms and walk off into the sunset in mutual
agreement and admiration, we still have to reach consensus about the
classification based on the phylogeny, or, with the phylocode, the
names  that are in general use .  If we don't have this consensus, we
have Babel. There might be nothing stopping the combination Pongo
sapiens...

For a consensus f the kind about which I am talking, it isn't about
science, it is about aspects of the communication of science. I
realise there are different philosophies of classification, but this
issue transcends particular philosophies

P.