[Taxacom] encylopedia of life [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

John Grehan jgrehan at sciencebuff.org
Sun May 13 08:26:33 CDT 2007

The breadth of a taxonomic category might be one place where consensus
rules since the limits are arbitrary. One could well propose Pongo
sapiens as much as Homo troglodytes. Interestingly, the Homo designation
lost out to the majority preference to keep them in separate genera
(which avoided the tangled consequence that one would also have to
subordinate Australopithecus, Paranthropus and any other fossil hominid
under Homo as well).

John Grehan