[Taxacom] encylopedia of life

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Sun May 13 15:51:15 CDT 2007

David Patterson:

You have taxonomists on the Team! That's wonderful. I am willing to bet, however, that you don't have more than 100, much less one per family. Unless you are not paying them, and the buy-in involves their "spare time" as contributed by institution heads on the Team.

It's not exactly money alone that we taxonomists are grumpy about. Those who have jobs already have money. It is how university deans see biodiversity research versus, say, DNA research. One (doing EoL pages) is unfunded, the other brings in lots of indirect costs.

The EoL as presently conceived will encourage and accelerate the loss of taxonomists at our universities. University deans would do well to hire WWW Biodiversity Project Heads because those positions seem well funded.

"EoL is not a funding agency." It should be.

R. Zander