[Taxacom] encylopedia of life

Alex Wild alexwild at email.arizona.edu
Sun May 13 19:43:39 CDT 2007

I'm sure EoL will be a fine infrastructure for the sharing of
biodiversity information.

However, that isn't what the EoL press release is trumpeting.  The press
release and media coverage boast pages for 1.8 million species.  That's
an entirely different beast.  It will require massive amounts of
content, and content requires incentives for content providers.

I fear that EoL has misdiagnosed the nature of the taxonomic
impediment.  EoL falls into the common trap of offering a technological
fix for what is, at heart, not a technological problem.  Most of the
people who failed to volunteer their expertise in previous online
biodiversity projects did not do so for lack of technology.  In this
light, I find David Patterson's comment #3 a bit naive.  The
biodiversity experts largely do have sufficient bandwidth, they have
access to current nomenclature, and they usually have access to the
literature of their groups (the file cabinets of taxonomists both
professional and amateur tend towards overflowing).  What they lack is
time and incentive.

Alex Wild
University of Arizona
www.myrmecos.net