[Taxacom] encylopedia of life

Shorthouse, David dps1 at ualberta.ca
Sun May 13 20:57:29 CDT 2007

Richard,

What would make EoL indispensable for you? If you had your say in its
architecture, what would you want?

Sure, money in the coffers equals prestige for a short-sighted Dean. It'll
be interesting when the $10 PCR device nears production:
http://medgadget.com/archives/2007/05/10_dna_replicator.html. That ought to
be a great leveler.

But what we really need here is to chip away at journal impact factors. That
ultimately is the well from which money springs. If the EoL workbench can
play a role in that somehow, then I will absolutely spend a couple of
weekends writing species pages or wake-up early a few days every week to
contribute content. Heck, I'll even make it a family affair instead of
spending $40 on a night at the movies. Wouldn't that activity be a step
closer to replenishing the stock of taxonomists?

David P. Shorthouse
Department of Biological Sciences
CW-403, Biological Sciences Centre
University of Alberta