[Taxacom] encylopedia of life

Fabian Haas fhaas at icipe.org
Mon May 14 00:47:14 CDT 2007

Good to have a community effort. However, after some years in the GTI
and trying to get a job in taxonomy, I am afraid, that there wont be any
taxonomic community left to work in it, if there is no funding.

Community efforts are nice and I like them, but somehow I need to pay my
bills... Some funding would also improve taxonomists standing when
arguing with deans.

Best
Fabian

David Patterson wrote:
> As one of the EOL team, I'd like to comment on some of the
> issues that have been raised.
>
> 1.  We do have active taxonomists as part of the team.
>
> 2.  EOL is intended to be a communal initiative.  Its role
> is to mobilise data, present it through a common but very
> flexible portal, and so serve audiences with a broad
> spectrum of needs.  To make this possible, we will promote
> a virtual workbench, where anyone can add to amend openly
> accessible software to link, index, annotate, analyse or
> visualise biodiversity information that are accessible
> through the internet.  Anyone will be able to register
> themselves as a data provider so that their content can be
> seen through the workbench and potentially through the EOL
>
> 3.  As to whether this initiative will have more success
> that some of the others, there are a number of
> developments that make success considerably more probable.
>  The first is that the internet itself has moved on, the
> bandwidth can now accommodate biology in a way that was
> not previously possible; the style of the internet has
> been very interactive (and therefore makes communal
> participation possible - one of two key factors that will
> permit this project to scale); there have been innovations
> in aggregation (mashup) which we are familiar with in
> terms of Google images, but in the biological context
> through web sites like iSpecies or in a more clunky form
> in micro*scope many years earlier;  we have the
> foundations of a global index in the form of uBio's
> NameBank and CoLP has now gone beyond the half way point
> in developing an authoritative filter for that index;
>  there will be a fairly extensive network  that
> synchronizes the major names providers; TDWG now
> Biodiversity Information Standards is providing data
> schemas, data transfer standards, and progress towards the
> semantic web for biology; we have taxonomically
> intelligent services that can overcome the 'many names for
> one organism' problem that besets federation of data; we
> will have access to the content of 1.500,000 biodiversity
> texts through the BHL so addressing a key bottleneck in
> taxonomy and therefore making EOL a tool that serves
> taxonomists; the funding is appropriate to the scope of
> the challenge, and we have a wonderful video (that was
> provided for free by Avenue A RazorFish - illustrating
> that the idea is inspiring others to help us address the
> challenge)
>
> 4.  This is a communal enterprise.  EOL is not a funding
> agency.  It will increase visibility and relevance of
> biodiversity data that is put on the web.  It will offer
> to taxonomists high visibility, something that the
> taxonomic community should be able to exploit in their
> search for support.
>
> 5.  The teams will start to assemble in the second part of
> this year.
>

> David Patterson
>
> www.eol.org
> eolinformatics at mbl.edu

FabianHaas2 at gmx.net, fhaas at icipe.org, Extension -2404

www.icipe.org
www.earwigs-online.de :: The Site on Earwig Biology
www.fabianhaas.de :: Personal Photo Website

Dr. Fabian Haas
c/o The International Centre of Insect Physiology and
Ecology
Duduville Campus, Kasarani
P.O. Box 30772 - 00100
N A I R O B I