[Taxacom] encylopedia of life

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Mon May 14 06:22:32 CDT 2007

> But what we really need here is to chip away at journal impact
> factors. That
> ultimately is the well from which money springs. If the EoL workbench
> can
> play a role in that somehow, then I will absolutely spend a couple of
> weekends writing species pages or wake-up early a few days every week
> contribute content. Heck, I'll even make it a family affair instead of
> spending $40 on a night at the movies. Wouldn't that activity be a step
> closer to replenishing the stock of taxonomists?

This is one reason why I've argued for DOIs for the "pages" in EoL.
That way they can fit easily into existing publisher's workflow (i.e.,
publishers can link to EoL pages in the same way they link to previous
literature), and EoL will be able to demonstrate that it is being cited
(there's also the added benefit of EoL pages being able to list the
actual papers that cite it, hence EoL pages will always be up to date
in at least one respect).

I also think we need to do more than just bemoan the low impact factor
of taxonomic work, because in part it's our own fault. See
http://iphylo.blogspot.com/2007/03/generating-alternative-citation-
metrics.html for some suggestions.

Regards

Rod