[Taxacom] encylopedia of life

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Mon May 14 07:35:08 CDT 2007

I support the idea of doi
(http://biodivcontext.blogspot.com/2007_02_01_archive.html)and think, EOL
with its huge potential based only on the impact of BHL as access provider
to the legacy publications. But I would also see it as a chance to move our
publications into the open access domain, because only this allows to
optimize EOL with the best possible acess to our current knowledge.

Alma Swan
(http://optimalscholarship.blogspot.com/2007/05/open-access-fundamentalism.h
tml)makes some good points about open access, which also support Rod's point
about citation indeces

"it enables greater visibility and, as a result, impact; it moves science
along more quickly; it enables new 'Web 2.0' semantic technologies to work
on scientific output, generating new knowledge by data-mining and
text-mining scientific output in the vast single information space that Open
Access provides ; and it enables new tools that can measure impact and
effectiveness in brand new ways, a boon to research managers and funders
across the world."

Thus, once the base of EOL is laid, I think it needs to look into better way
to input new data, new description on a bases that whatever is published, is
also part of the EOL. That could happen with open access, something like a
modified creative commons license allowing at least the descriptions to be
part of the commons or even a publication service for describing the
millions of new species.

Donat