[Taxacom] encylopedia of life

John Holsinger jholsing at odu.edu
Mon May 14 08:42:21 CDT 2007

John,

AHEM a thousand times over.  I've said the same thing many times.

John

John R. Holsinger, PhD
Professor of Biological Sciences
Dept. of Biological Sciences
Old Dominion University
Norfolk, Virginia 23529-0266, USA
TEL   1-757-683-3606
FAX   1-757-683-5283
E-mail:     jholsing at odu.edu
Internet:  http://sci.odu.edu/biology/directory/john.shtml

             "John Grehan"
             <jgrehan at scienceb
             uff.org>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  "Shorthouse, David"
             taxacom-bounces at m         <dps1 at ualberta.ca>, "Richard
             ailman.nhm.ku.edu         Zander" <Richard.Zander at mobot.org>,
                                       <Taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>
                                                                        cc
             05/14/2007 08:38
                                       Re: [Taxacom] encylopedia of life

The $10 PCR is not going to level anything, other than continue the
presumption that molecular similarity is all one needs to make for good
phylogenies.

What could make a real difference in taxonomic activity is funding
recognition for taxonomic monographs and for morphology as an
independently viable foundation for phylogenetic reconstruction.

John Grehan

It'll
> be interesting when the $10 PCR device nears production:
> http://medgadget.com/archives/2007/05/10_dna_replicator.html. That
ought
> be a great leveler.
>
> But what we really need here is to chip away at journal impact
factors.
> That
> ultimately is the well from which money springs. If the EoL workbench
can
> play a role in that somehow, then I will absolutely spend a couple of
> weekends writing species pages or wake-up early a few days every week
> contribute content. Heck, I'll even make it a family affair instead of
> spending $40 on a night at the movies. Wouldn't that activity be a
step
> closer to replenishing the stock of taxonomists?
>
> David P. Shorthouse
> Department of Biological Sciences
> CW-403, Biological Sciences Centre
> University of Alberta
> Edmonton, AB   T6G 2E9
> mailto:dps1 at ualberta.ca
> http://canadianarachnology.webhop.net
> http://arachnidforum.webhop.net
> http://www.spiderwebwatch.org

Zander
> Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2007 2:51 PM
> To: David Patterson; Donat Agosti; taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
> Subject: Re: [Taxacom] encylopedia of life
>
> David Patterson:
>
> You have taxonomists on the Team! That's wonderful. I am willing to
bet,
> however, that you don't have more than 100, much less one per family.
> Unless
> you are not paying them, and the buy-in involves their "spare time" as
> contributed by institution heads on the Team.
>
> It's not exactly money alone that we taxonomists are grumpy about.
Those