[Taxacom] encylopedia of life

Fabian Haas fhaas at icipe.org
Tue May 15 00:34:21 CDT 2007

Hi Richard,

some truth in your words, especially the disorganised state of the
taxonomists as a group (if we can speak of them as group :-)  )

What I still not understand is, why we expect the contents provider to
work for free? We dont expect the programmers to do so, and concerning
the programmers we could make the same point on improved visibility,
reputation etc. We also dont expect doctors to work for free. We also
dont expect a mechanic to work for free. We also dont expect a baker to
work for free. But we always expect taxonomist to use their spare time
to ...

While I think funding actual research is not on the EoL at all, and
probably should not be, I truly believe that those doing the contents
should also be able to find some benefits on their accounts. What do I
tell students in taxonomy: That they will have the pleasure and honour
to work on community projects for free and will have great recognition,
but please care about you living yourself?!

Do I miss something essential? Or what is it that I dont understand?

Best
Fabian

Richard Pyle wrote:
> Note:  I started writing this when I got up this morning, but got
> sidetracked for the whole day.  Now that I come back, I see there has been
> much more discussion, so some of my points below have already been addressed
> by others.  But here goes anyway...
>
> My PhD is in classical taxonomic research (i.e., with an emphasis on field
> work and alpha-level taxonomy). The reason it took me eleven years to
> complete that degree is that I've had a full-time job that does not directly
> support my taxonomic work (still true today). Most of my taxonomic research
> (pre- and post-graduate) has been conducted on my own time and/or on
> vacation time.  I have had some private support (mostly from documentary
> film projects and other non-traditional venues such as Esquire Magazine) to
> fund collecting in the field, but most of the expeditions (and almost all of
> the post-collecting work) have been paid out of my own pocket; and almost
> always on unsalaried time. I've submitted three major NSF proposals over the
> past few years -- all of them have received a majority of "excellent"
> ratings; none of them funded. Oh, and no, I am not personally wealthy -- my
> wife and I both work full-time, and we still live from paycheck to paycheck.
>
> Now, it may well be that I just suck as a taxonomist and/or grant writer
> (I'll leave that to my colleagues and grant reviewers to judge), but the
> point is that I think I'm in a better position than most to legitimately
> whine about inadequate funding to support basic taxonomic research.
>
> In that context, I would like to respectfully disagree with those who have
> commented that the EoL initiative should fund basic taxonomic research.
> Here's why:
>
> Let's suppose EoL earmarked 50% of it's total projected budget ($25M)
> towards raw taxonomic research.  We would increase taxonomic progress by
> $2.5M/year over the projected ten-year span that budget encompasses. But
> let's also suppose that halving the budget would also cut in half the extent
> to which the envisioned EoL infrastructure would support taxonomists in
> completing their work.
>
> Now, let's also suppose that $50M will, indeed, yield the envisioned suite
> of data access and content management tools over the next ten years. This
> means that every taxonomist with access to the internet would have
> essentially instant access to a VAST array of publications, images, specimen
> data records, and other data content.  "Workbench" tools developed through
> EoL would help organize all of this content in a way that best makes sense
> to your own work habits and particular field of interest ("MyEoL"), and
> allow seamless and instant sharing of data and images among collaborators
> and colleagues. Just factoring time spent in the library and at the
> photocopy machine alone would probably work out to 10-20 hours saved per
> year for a typical active taxonomist.

> [...]

FabianHaas2 at gmx.net, fhaas at icipe.org, Extension -2404

www.icipe.org
www.earwigs-online.de :: The Site on Earwig Biology
www.fabianhaas.de :: Personal Photo Website

Dr. Fabian Haas
c/o The International Centre of Insect Physiology and
Ecology
Duduville Campus, Kasarani
P.O. Box 30772 - 00100
N A I R O B I