[Taxacom] encylopedia of life [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Don.Colless at csiro.au Don.Colless at csiro.au
Tue May 15 01:15:47 CDT 2007

An interesting view of a classification is that it certainly is an hypothesis, with the status of an "inference to the best explanation". This of course always leaves it open to amendment in the interest of utility, information content, etc. - or, as Peter Lipton might suggest, beauty! I don't often find myself in agreement with John, but I share his disquiet when hypotheses quietly morph into "facts".