[Taxacom] Wanted: a page on marking up

Mary Barkworth Mary at biology.usu.edu
Tue May 15 06:50:45 CDT 2007

This arises indirectly from the EoL discussion but it is not that.
There have been many posts about marking things up so they can be found.
Is there an abc level page on how to do this? Written for someone so old
she can remember electric typewriters as being new? I have servers with
a fair amount of taxonomic content on the Web (see
http://herbarium.usu.edu/webmanual/ and http://utc.usu.edu/keys/ )  With
Marina Olanova's help I have a translation of Tsvelev's 2006 global
treatment of Glyceria almost ready to post.  It contains a discussion,
listing of species with publication information and some comments, and a
key, and a list of excluded species. It would be nice if this could be
found a year from now because it was marked up correctly.

I would be delighted to mark these up so it would be easier for people
to find them. I am working on putting key words in the headers, but
reading about the semantic Web and following these discussions, I have
the impression there are better ways to do this. So, those of you who
know - please - is there a Web page that explains how in words of one
syllable?  Or do I simply define my own mark up language at the top of
the document?

My suspicion is that there are others like myself who would make their
work more accessible if they knew how - hence my public decision of
admit ignorance. I have already seen some of the grass descriptions
appear, with minor changes (rounding of limits to the nearest 0.5 mm) on
other pages with a somewhat different format. The print publication that
they come from was cited, slightly inaccurately but it was a reasonable
attempt.

Mary